24. BROOK LOOP

 

 

Brook Loop is today fully wooded. Given this appearance you might assume that when built it was cut into the forest that now surrounds and fills it. But that was not the case.

Like other sections on this west side of the main road most of Brook Loop was developed on, and carefully fitted into, what was already cleared pasture and documented as such on the 1915 map.

 

DIAGRAM TO BE ADDED

 

Today's Brook Loop (in red)
traced on to the pastureland 1915 map.

Brook Loop Site Details: Only Sites 79 to 85 at the top of the Loop were off the pasture and in the pre-Campground woods. Brook Loop was in place as the 1935 map was drawn so it is a relatively old feature.

Traffic circulation here is one way counter clockwise just as it was in 1940. From the campground road to the spur at the top of the Loop there are today five sites, 75 to 79, fewer than the nine of 1940.

Site 79 exemplifies the pleasant variety in the design of some sites in the Campground. Here the table and fireplace are on one level, to the rear of which are steps leading up to a more private tenting area.

Excerpt from Esso's
New England road map for 1941.

The spur road at the top of the Loop now hosts Sites 80 to 84 for a total of five, but only four were here back in 1940. It is assumed that the extension of this spur further up slope beyond the 1940 limit dates from the late fifties, when access to a new water supply tank and well were required.

The remainder of Brook Loop has seven camps, Sites 85 to 91, where there were ten in 1940. In the late thirties a fuel wood yard served the area from what is today the west and up slope side of Site 85.

 

This photo, once in a frame, is judged by Scott McClory to have
been taken by Guy Shorey. The scene is not on Brook Loop. But as the
Brook Loop page has few pics and other pages are full, it found a home here.

See above photo at higher resolution.

Source: Scott McClory Dolly Copp Collection